Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Tuesday Morning Ugh, Dog Style

My eyes are tired and half-open, my lower neck/back has a twinge and Val is also exhausted this morning, and our dog Walker is finally a bit better.
After we walked him last night, we prepared Walker's food while we got our first back yard grilling (salmon) ready. These preparations continued while and after Walker ate his dinner, and as we got ready to take things outside, we heard a crinkling/swishing kind of sound, along with his collar and tags.
I found Walker standing over a halfway or so eaten white pom-pom Val or I had gotten at one of the Buffalo Sabres' home playoff games, and I knew what was next; either a painful journey through the dog's body and rectum, or some serious puking. I got my answer a few minutes later, as Walker started gagging and proceeded to puke up a large amount of dog food first, then an even larger and more impressive pile of a small amount of dog food blended with lots of white streamers from a pom-pom. Moments later, the remnants came up, with a shoe lace mixed into them.
Like many dogs, Walker first tried to eat what he had thrown up, then he tried for most of the rest of the night to walk around, drink water, pant and lick the floor to calm his stomach down, and he seemed to do so. When Val went to bed before 11 p.m., she took him upstairs with her to continue the calming process, which seemed to help, while I made some white rice as we usually do in these situations (Walker has gastritis and we almost lost him a few years ago to bloat, so his stomach is sewn to his chest cavity lining to prevent it from flipping again).
The overnight time was quiet for a bit, but Walker became restless and barked a little, so I took him over from Val and we all slept a bit. But sometime around 3-4 a.m., I awoke to Walker standing by the window looking out very attentively; there were two police cars in the street and the officers were attending to something across the street. I don't know for certain who or what, but a few nights ago, a neighbor and I both called police after about 10 people in their late-teens/early-20s decided to hold a dance party of sorts on that lawn, blasting bad dance music from one of their cars, dancing like a bad out take from "Fame" and scurrying into the car to drive away few times.
Finally, we all got back to sleep and the alarm meanly went off as usual at 6 a.m. I have a very full day at work and nighttime work and other commitments, so I am not going to be enjoying myself for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home