Monday, July 20, 2009

Some Final Thoughts on Walter Cronkite

Since I wrote a lot when CBS and broadcast news/journalist extraordinaire Walter Cronkite became gravely ill recently, I cannot add too much upon his unfortunate death at age 92 last week.
But I do recall the two instances that will stick out to me forever of watching, listening and trusting Cronkite. The first was the first manned landing on the moon, 40 years ago today, July 20, 1969, and the second was the Watergate scandal and hearings that led up to the resignation of former President Richard M. Nixon.
Our household always watched a lot of news on television, national and local, but while I do recall watching Chet Huntley and David Brinkley on NBC a bit and only ABC News a little, we were a CBS/Walter Cronkite household. I still get chills sometimes when I see and hear Cronkite say, "and that's the way it is ... "
Rest in peace, Walter, you served us well. As I wrote elsewhere, you are one of the reasons I and many other people can proudly say that we were and are journalists.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Well said, Kevin.

1:51 AM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Thanks, Kim. We won't see Cronkite's likes again, I'm afraid.

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home