Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Does Sleep = Creativity or Ideas?

I dozed off/slept a couple of times last night, including while listening to music (Gurf Morlix, Joy Division, King Crimson, Memphis 59), and I got to bed at a pretty good hour, so I feel pretty decent rest and sleep wise.
But as you can see/read, sleep and rest do not always translate into good writing ideas. I always noticed that I did my best writing (newspaper, school work and so on) under pressure, deadline being the best and most common one, so maybe I should figure this one out, because I really don't want to go back to/continue the bad sleeping habits of recent times.
Of course, like more and more people, I could probably bore myself to sleep or, on the other hand, get insomnia, trying to figure out some of these Facebook friend requests.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have a vague mist of ideas when I'm tired, but lack the mental wherewithal to put them into anything coherent or meaningful. I've been really sleep-deprived the last two days. I have a decent idea or two for articles/posts, but so far all I've managed to do is stare at the monitor, reply to e-mail and update my Facebook status.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Sometimes, I can't make anything out of ideas when I am super tired, but occasionally, I let things go and they come to better than I expect.

But that is tough with blogging, because I, and I assume most people, write blog posts for pretty immediate posting and reactions. I never write articles when I am that tired, because I know I can't proof read/edit them well in that state.

So, I suddenly can't tell what I do try to write when I am over tired. Hmm ...

10:48 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I write some of my best blog posts in my head at night away from the computer. However, in the morning I draw a blank.

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home