Friday, April 03, 2009

Language Attack

Being a writer and former newspaper reporter and editor, I take the English language serious, although of course I make mistakes at times. But egregious errors and all-out assaults really, er, grind my gears.
One recent one that makes my blood boil is people who refer to the police as "the po-po." What in the absolute fucking hell is the reason any adult, particularly those like me who never lived a life in which that word or reference was used, would do so?
I just had to write about that after reading it in a couple of places yesterday.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Fittingly, now I'm sitting here agonizing over whether it's "take the English language serious" or "seriously."

And I HATE "po-po." Maybe those idiots think it makes them look all cool and hip-hop. You know, among those who never use the phrase "hip hop" and whose admiration, the value of which is questionable anyway, certainly isn't to be won by lame, overeager faux street talk.

It reminds me of an older guy trying to impress teenagers, invariably by saying something lame including the words "radical" or "I'm down with that." Or maybe Michael Steele.

2:58 PM  
Blogger heather said...

I think it's seriously. Seriously is an adverb describing take a verb. Serious is an adjective.

Sorry, too much grammar going lately at school (5th grade) and at home (7th grade).

:-)

3:42 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

I knew "serious" and "seriously" would be a question to some. I learned that at least as per AP Style and not to end a sentence with a preposition, one should use "serious."

Because I could have ended the sentence there and it would be a complete sentence, I used "serious."

5:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was torn between both of your reasons. Hence the agonizing.

Perhaps I take it a bit too serious(ly).

7:27 PM  
Blogger heather said...

I guess it also depends if you're writing an essay for an ELA teacher or writing a news article.

And since this is a blog, you can do anything you darn well please.

And don't be so serious about!

9:13 PM  
Blogger heather said...

oops, I forgot the word it.

Note to self, read what you wrote before posting.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home