Monday, March 30, 2009

Musical Memory Time

Time does seem to pass fast when you're not paying attention, in small ways as well as large, and music often is how I notice.
As I was driving to get two new tires on Val's car (I was following her so we could eat breakfast and go to Wegmans while they installed the tires), I popped Lucinda Willians' self-titled album on Rough Trade (reissued by Koch Records) into my car's casette deck. Yes, cassette deck.
It is a great album and one of the three consecutive works (followed by Sweet Old World and Car Wheels on a Gravel Road) that rival any recording artist for three consecutive great works, and are by far her best recordings.
Starting off with "I Just Wanted to See You So Bad," and including "Passionate Kisses," "Am I Too Blue" and "Changed the Locks," it is a classic record, and not just a classic Americana record.
This album was also released in 1988; 21 freaking years ago. I am still trying to figure out how more than two decades have passed since this record was released. Several live songs were added to the original recording when it was reissued.
Sometime this past weekend, I pulled out "2 AM Tragedy" by Scott Carpenter and the Real McCoys, a classic local CD of razor sharp guitars, vocals and songs blending country, rock and punk, and noticed it was released in 1995, 14 years. Where the hell has the time gone?

1 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

2AM Tragedy! Love it!! ... with fine OtherWisz designed liner notes.

Mr. Scott sells real estate these days and Matt is still rockin'...

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home