Saturday, June 07, 2008

Music That You Can Shop or Eat To

When I was able to get out of the house and function these past two days (I took a day off of work Friday), I encountered some musical high and low points.
I took my mother Sheila to dinner tonight; we ate at her favorite Italian restaurant (La Castelana), a pretty good place, and we had a very nice meal. During our meal, the restaurant was playing a tape or CD of contemporary Italian music, starting with some opera and moving into some cheesy pop music that sounded like bad versions of the U.S. pop/dance market from 10-15 years ago. When I thought it couldn't get worse, I heard a synthed-up song that sounded familiar, but I laughed and hoped that it wasn't so. Indeed, I was right; the song turned out to be an Italian version of "Gloria," sung by a man.
I stopped at the Walden Galleria Mall Friday, mainly to check out iPod prices (Val has one, I do not), and except for the iPod Shuffle, which I do not want, they are priced higher than my need warrants. But I did end up buying a couple of sale dress shirts and a pair of pants. My surprise came when I walked by the Old Navy store; I heard a song that was very good and one I knew, and it came to me: Sarah Borges and the Broken Singles' "The Day We Met," from their great "Diamonds in the Dark" CD which made my best music of 2007 list (yeah, I was supposed to post that here).
And the vinyl interest continues; I saw Mark Wisz while doing some political stuff, and we talked for a while about it, as I mentioned here a few days ago. Mark has played and appreciated vinyl for years, including but not limited to his DJing. Friday, I went over to my mother's house to do some yard work and put up some curtains for her, and I stopped by the album cabinet of mine downstairs (part of my way more than 1,000-album collection). Indeed, I picked up some choice slabs of vinyl (Miles Davis, King Crimson), but figuring out where I will store them remains a question.

1 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

You can never have enough records, I like the old ones better myself!

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home