Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Crying, Over a Song

Thank you, Roy Orbison, for the lead-in paraphrase (I was damn lucky to catch him in concert at Kleinhans Music Hall in the late 1980s, with the JackLords opening) for this sensitive post.
We all have them, many of us won't admit to them, but there are songs that make us cry every time we hear them. I was listening to a CD today when it happened: Richard Thompson's tale of love, death and robbery, "1952 Vincent Black Lightning," from his underrated "Rumor and Sigh" CD, always gets me weepy. Another song that gets me crying is "Thousands Are Sailing," on the Pogues' "If I Should Fall from Grace with God" CD; the story of immigration, including the journey itself, and the contributions of people of Irish descent on America, reminds me of my grandparents, particularly my late grandfather William Hosey, who came to America from the town of Stradbally in County Laois, Ireland.
I am interested in hearing what songs make you cry and, if you care to explain, the reasons why.

5 Comments:

Blogger Prego said...

I was at that Roy Orbison show. I remember I took a girl other than my girlfriend at the time. I'm going to hell, and I didn't get any.

Good question! I kind of cry tears of happiness that somebody actually wrote "Don't Fear the Reaper" and I get kind of weepy with some Thin Lizzy numbers. Other than that? There's a song called "Los Techos De Carton" by a Venezuelan folk singer named Ali Primera that kind of takes me back and makes me sad. It's about how sad rain sounds on the cardboard roofs in the poorest regions of Venezuela.

Then there's the "Guantanamera" standard. It always reminds me of my mom's last day before she passed. I sang it to her.


Aw, man! (sniff) Faaaaaaaaaaahk. Thanks a lot Kev!

Waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!


Just kidding. I can't listen to it any more, though.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Prego said...

Here's a wussified current version of the "Techos" song that I found.
Techos de Carton

It misses some of the poignancy and panache that the original singer delivered. Here's vintage Ali Primera, who wrote it, singing in Nicaragua. Unfortunately I can't find his version. He died in '86

9:32 PM  
Blogger val said...

Wow, Prego, and thanks for sharing these thoughts.

That is an impressive song, "Los Techos de Carton," but Ali Primera's performance in Nicaragua is really powerful and gripping. He is the kind of singer that I would have worried about, because those in power would not have appreciated him.

Between that and your story on your mother and "Guantanamera," I'm getting misty again.

It also reminds me of two other instances of crying at music, but specific circumstances: when the military trumpeter played "Taps" at my dad's funeral, and when a beautiful tenor voice in the organ loft sang "Oh, Danny Boy" as the recessional at Val's dad's funeral.

12:08 AM  
Blogger val said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Prego said...

Mrs. P has strict instructions to unceremoniously take me out on garbage day when I pass. The boys can sing Highway to Hell while she does it.

By the way, there are rumors that Ali Primera's car may have been tampered with, so others share your theory.

I might make you a CD.

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home