Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Once an Editor, Always an Editor

After spending more than 18 years as an editor and reporter and more than 20 years as a writer, I will never stop being irked by easy, simple, ridiculous spelling mistakes.
Three really stand out and, because some people don't care if they misspell a few words and others don't have or don't use Spell Check, are way too prevalent. First, the word is spelled definite and definitely, NOT "definate" and "definately." Second, the word is spelled independent, NOT "independant." And third, an old classic: the word is spelled cemetery, NOT "cemetary."
It may not seem to be too important an issue to some people, but besides my past as a writer, reporter and editor, we live in a time where some people stupidly and wrongly think that English should be legally adopted as the official language of this country, state, etc. If it wasn't such an important and embarrassing situation, I would laugh while pointing out how many of these supporters of English as the official language can't spell, conjugate or figure out simple grammar.

9 Comments:

Blogger All Things Jennifer said...

I alwasy speell the fist two wrong. Every single time. Calendar is also one of my most misspelled words.

But I know my spelling and grammar stinketh, and if you ever see a tyop, glaring error on my site, you can email me :)

7:53 AM  
Blogger All Things Jennifer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:54 AM  
Blogger All Things Jennifer said...

:) I also rarely use spell check if the option is not right in front of my face, and on the blog, the wordpress software is without spellcheck, so most of the time, I hope for the best.

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My latest pet peeve, because it is cropping up seemingly frickin' *everywhere* is "sneak peak." Arrgghhhhh!!!!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Prego said...

'Liten' up, Francis.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Oh, come on, Prego; we're all anal about something (me, more), and this is my prime area for it. I mean, it was and really still is my work and hobby, Plus, you're a teacher and all.

Jen, I wouldn't know that you don't regularly use spell check by reading ATJ. And "sneak peak" is pretty much lame and gimmicky, Anon.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Like ru u serious? Ne way lewt speak is the way 2 be.

That was almost painful to write. I have seen too many posts on message boards that make my eyes bleed. The lack of grammar and spelling today is scary.

My dad is noticing it as well. He teaches freshman college English and students are coming in with no knowledge of grammar and spelling.

On the plus side, Firefox 2.0 does come with a spell check.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Prego said...

Kev,

I think you missed the subtlety of my joke - and also a glimpse at my pet peeve.


Kewl?

4:30 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Sorry, Prego; at times I can be absolutely thick at times, and not just in ways to brag over.

You're father must see way too much in the way of bad grammar, spelling and so on, Beth, and man, leet speak is one of the most annoying developments in language I have come across in years.

Oh, and I forgot how much I hate it when people use the wrong version of "your" or "you're."

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home