Saturday, November 04, 2006

BMID (Big Man in Deli)

On my way home from political activities today, I stopped at Guercio's on Grant Street for a few things (to be detailed below). From the start, it seemed like something out of the ordinary was occurring.
As I went to open the door, a man about my age with his parents came out.
"Did you see him? Did you see him, Dad?"
"Yes, we saw him by the deli."
"That was Joe Mesi, wasn't it?"
"Yes, that was Baby Joe Mesi."
The entire store was alight with talk about Mesi, particularly the four women working in the deli. One woman laughed that she was waiting on somebody when Mesi came to the deli counter, and that she left her customer to wait on him "without even thinking." "Yes, we know," two of her friends responded. Mesi was still in the store and stood behind me in the checkout line until two more workers asked him to pose in a photo with them; throughout all this, Mesi was very gracious and friendly.
So, what did I get? A bag each of black pepper pasta noodles and basil pasta noodles, a pound of rigatoni, some bananas and 1 pound, three ounces of wonderful Gondola brand cheese-filled shells with mint. Val and I tried the ravioli version of this at a potluck dinner at the Buffalo Arts Studio last week, and they were delicious. All this came to just over $12.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home