Saturday, November 11, 2006

Veterans Day in Our Family

Val and I join millions of people in honoring American veterans past, present and future today, Veterans Day, and thank them for their service to this country.
Two veterans stand out to us today; first, U.S. Army PFC Edward William Hosey, a Korean War veteran who served in the Army Security Agency as a cryptographer. Also, Edward Patrick Dunne, U.S. Navy, who served on submarines and submarine tenders during the Korean War.
Val and I share a real pride for our late fathers' accomplishments and modesty over their military service, and miss them badly. Val lost her father about four years ago, and my father died two and a half years ago, so the pain is fresh, but our love and pride is stronger.
Forever thanks and love, Ed and Ed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Prego said...

Right on.

I was in Canada yesterday. Nearly every one I saw donned a red poppy. It was the coolest Vet Day thing I've seen (besides the day off on a calendar).

7:13 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Very good point, Prego, and thank you to you, too. The red poppy tradition is very respectful and even a bit cool in a way, referring back to those bloody fields in Flanders.

As a history buff, I have been more into reading and learning about World War II than any other, but I got back into World War I by recently finishing a great book by English writer/historian Lyn MacDonald, "1915: The Death of Innocence." My Lord, how scary.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Prego said...

Since you're on the subject, you might be interested in Silent Night: The Story of the World War I Christmas Truce" by Stanley Weintraub.

Wars are scary in general, but interesting as all hell.

10:27 PM  
Blogger val said...

Thanks for the tip, Prego; I've heard of the Christmas Armistice, but I know very little about it and have always been interested. It looks like that will be on my library or Christmas/holiday list.

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home