Sunday, November 19, 2006

I'm an Ineffectual Pseudointellectual

Some of you may agree with that thought, but I'm actually referring to a lyric by one of my favorite Buffalo bands and I believe one of the best Buffalo bands from the 1980s-early 1990s, the Moment. I found a tape of theirs (later period) and was cranking it in my car the last few days, with the above lyric included.
The band was made up of Jim Redden on guitar and vocals, Jimmer Phillips on bass and vocals and Jimy Chambers on drums and vocals. While all went on to other bands of some success and renown (most notably Chambers as drummer, percussionist and other contributions to Mercury Rev), the Moment was an amazing blend of Mod, psychedelic, pop, rock and even shades of progressive rock at times. The band performed a wonderful reunion show 2-3 years ago at Mohawk Place, and I'd love to hear another some day.
Cry away ...

3 Comments:

Blogger Prego said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Prego said...

I saw Jimmer steal someone's pack of cigarettes off the bar at the Pink once. It was smooth, ghetto and hilarious at the same time.

Make me a copy of that tape. I'll return the favour with a copy of the Painkillers album.

11:25 PM  
Blogger val said...

It's a deal, Prego.

Jesus, is there anything Jimmer hasn't or wouldn't do for a smoke or drink?

I saw Jim Redden at the Buffalo Arts Studio during the members' show opening Saturday; Val is a member and on the board of directors. He still looks a lot the same, but it is weird to see him with a wife and daughter. Just life, I guess.

Jimy Chambers I see at p22 events and Odiorne shows, of course, and we saw Jimmer at the Elmwood Festival of the Arts, just wandering around hear the stage during Terry Sullivan's set.

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home