Thursday, March 12, 2009

Continental Closing - Confirmed?

My drive-by viewing yesterday basically confirms what I reported from my and Val's observations last week: The Continental, 212 Franklin Street in Buffalo, is closed and on the market.
I wrote that workers had ladders, doors open and red cones outside the club when I went by the punk/new wave club March 4, and that Val said when she drove by it March 5, the sign was down. After I dropped Walker Evans off at Puppy Play Pen yesterday, March 11, I drove by the club site on the way to work yesterday morning; the sign was down, including the metal border attached to the wall, and a banner sign reading "AVAILABLE," plus a 558-exchange telephone number, were posted to the club wall.
Damn; damn, damn, damn. I know it was a basic formality at this stage, but it still hurts to see the Continental closed and probably gone soon.

5 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

We should buy it an and open a club, what do you say...?!?!? Naw, bad idea.

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, the club has been closed for about 3 1/2 years. You didn't know this already?

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nevermind, I just read your earlier blog entries. I think that the closing was confirmed the last time I walked out via the front door in August 2005.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Closed wasn't the best word I could have used, Shawn. I probably should have said something like gone for good or becoming something else.

Yeah, let's pool our resources, Mark; wait, where did they go?

2:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I played at the continental in 1981. I was in a band called white on white. It was a really cool place and I miss it a lot. rest in peace bud. Fred Mett

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home