Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween in the City

Tonight is Halloween, and as usual, Val and I will be serving the hundreds of trick-or-treaters who will come to our house and Elmwood Village neighborhood; yes, kids get trucked in from all over Buffalo to our neighborhood each Halloween.
As usual, we have 15-20 pounds of candy to hand out, and for the 9 Halloweens I have lived at this address, we ran out of candy every year except last year, when our neighbors, Jim Whitford and Lynne O'Meara, brought their candy over to hand out from our porch and we had about a half-bag left.
We have plenty of bags of the good stuff; Snickers, Dark Chocolate and Mint Three Muskateers, Baby Ruths, lots of Nestle's and Hersehy's candy (including Whatchamacallits), as well as a bag of the not-so-good stuff, (mini-generic lollipops, generic fruit candies) for the nippers, little and big, who are obnoxious, in street clothes without an explanation, or too old and/or too big for trick-or-treating. And believe you me, I reserve the right to not give candy out to anyone too annoying or rowdy.
We're hoping that the weather holds out tonight, and once again, it looks like it will somewhat, and the high temperture will be about 60 today, a good 10-12 degrees warmer than yesterday.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, great idea to have the cheap, crappy candy for the kids who are obnoxious, not even trying, or have no right to be there. I'm going to run out and get some today.

My big issue, the past few years especially, is that kids don't even seem to know (or maybe don't care) that they're supposed to yell "Trick or Treat" when you come to the door. Seems like most of them just stand there, holding out their bags. WTF?

8:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

See, tonight is the day I love living in an ungodly-hot-for-this-time-of-the-year area. No worries about the evening weather. We're one of those trucking in a kid, though. Our community doesn't get into it at all, which is a big bummer since I'm a little obsessed with it. On the plus side, David's obsessed with it too, so now I have an excuse, er, I mean outlet for my energies. I've even perfected making a lightning-bolt scar for his Harry Potter costume, and am sorely disappointed I can't complete my own McGonagall look.

Snickers, dark chocolate and Whatchamacallits. Mmmmm. (Insert Homer Simpson drooling noise here.)

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home