Thursday, July 10, 2008

Oui*73 to Perform at Nietzsche's July 11

I have mentioned this before, but it deserves repeating; Oui*73, one of the best bands Buffalo has ever produced (I am not exaggerating), will perform a reunion show Friday, July 11, at Nietzsche's 248 Allen Street in Buffalo. The show will start with the opener, Here Come the Comets, at 10 p.m.
Anyone who read The Hosey Report or other articles I wrote mainly in the 1990s and early 2000s knows that Oui*73 was a great band that I highly and repeatedly praised; their sound was loud, hard but melodic, often blending the power and pop of Oasis with the the dissonance, punch and brittle melodies of bands like Sonic Youth, as well as some rather moody and foreboding lyrics. The band was and is made up of Tony Christiano (also A Potter's Field and now Nancy's Candy) on guitar and vocals, Rich Coffman (former SplatCats and Stitches, current Invisible Choir) on bass and vocals, Holly Ann (Christiano) on guitar and Craig Voigt (former Ramrods) on drums. Oui*73 released two excellent CDs, its debut, "Princess," and later "Sex, Bullets and Fire Engines."
While the band went through a couple of minor personnel shifts and, like all of us during those times, some personal changes and clashes, this lineup was the one that the band kept together for the vast majority, and best, of the time. To be honest, the band got me through a couple of bad/interesting times, as did Tony, who eventually became one of my best friends.
Of course, it wasn't always this way; Tony frequently reminds me of an early review of Oui*73 that was nowhere near as complementary as most of mine were, and although I was living in an apartment building owned by his two uncles, Frank and John Christiano, it took us a few years to meet, because not only did he not even know who I was professionally, he thought I was one of the Soviet immigrants living in his uncle's buildings.
This should be a great rock and roll show Friday at Nietzsche's, so join me in enjoying the hell out of Oui*73 again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home