Monday, June 30, 2008

Sugar ... Still Just as Sweet

All us who enjoy music beyond background sound come across recordings we haven't listened to recently, and when we play it again get swept away once more by the beauty, power and enjoyment of it all.
Last week I reached into the glove compartment of my 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier for a cassette while I was driving somewhere, in search of something good I hadn't heard in a while. I found a favorite of mine, from 1992, "Copper Blue" by Sugar, and played it.
Wow, once again.
Bob Mould, the former guitarist and one of the singer/songwriters in one of my favorite 1980s bands, Husker Du, formed Sugar after two solo albums following Husker Du's breakup, and this, the new band's debut recording, was its best and a fantastic piece of music. From the first notes of "The Act We Act" and "A Good Idea" through "Changes," "Helpless," "Man on the Moon" and the powerful life/society with AIDS song, "The Slim," "Copper Blue" still kicks major ass and remains among my favorites.
Also credit Mould and Sugar with recording one of those albums you have to play at loud volume, and sounds best this way; regardless how loud I have it playing at first, I am always moved to increase the volume when playing it.

3 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

I bought that CD the week it came out and still love it today.

I remember seeing Bob Mould play acoustic at Network or Tralf? He had the flu and he still rocked the acoustic guitar- all songs were still fierce- and sat and signed autographs after the show.

Great guy - great album.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Ha; it took me years to finally buy Copper Blue on CD, Mark, because I had it on vinyl as well as cassette, then my, um, former co-habitant had it on CD. It still has that crunch and emotional oomph that you can't easily find.

I think that show was at Network, and while I never caught Mould solo, I have always heard that he is a friendly, self-effacing kind of person, as your description shows.

Have you heard/obtained his new CD? Is it worth getting?

11:38 PM  
Blogger mark said...

I have not heard the latest Mould effort, or the last few actually.. I heard that he made some sort of 'electronic' record in there somewhere.

I did unearth my copy of Husker Du's 'Metal Circus' last week on vinyl. Loud, fast, and well.... loud. Very cool.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home