Monday, January 07, 2008

One More Time? Argh

Readers know my dislike of the use of songs from the late 1970s/early 1980s punk and new wave community being used in advertisements, even though I don't begrudge artists making money off of their art in music, photography, painting, acting, etc.
One that surprised me because the song was not a big hit, even though it is a particular favorite of mine, was hearing, first last night and again tonight during the BCS Championship Game, "One More Time" by Joe Jackson, off of his classic "Get Sharp!" album (one of my all-time favorites), in a Taco Bell commercial.
Aside from my continued hatred of the commodification of my adolescence and of something bigger, the music and culture, it strikes me as unusual for an almost 30-year-old song to be used, except that creative directors are now of my age group.
OK, I'm going to lay down now.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was still screaming at the television several minutes after I saw the commercial. It was like having my heart ripped out through my chest. I am glad to see someone else was dismayed by this. I suppose maybe someone will find out who does the "Taco Bell" song and buy what they will discover what in my opinion is an incredible album, his best certainly. Of course they will discover right away that "one More Time" is not about eating tacos, or any other food.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Yeah, it would be nice if someone would find out about Joe Jackson and start listening/buying his work from this, but I, like you, am still offended.

I am also glad to see that other bloggers are pissed off at Taco Bell over this.

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is also a commercial, i believe for a car company that uses Passenger by the stooges. Have you heard this???

11:05 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Yes, I have heard Iggy's "The Passenger" used for a car commercial; I think it is for Cadillac, but I couldn't find it when I searched for it.

I also remember, to my eternal pain, the first time I saw the Cadillac ad that used "London Calling" by The Clash, as well as the satellite radio/car people currently using The Clash's version of Toots and the Maytals' "Pressure Drop."

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always bored by people who choose to be offended by commercial use of a song they like. I'd heard of Joe Jackson before I saw this commercial, and kind of shelved his name in the back of my mind as some aging rocker that probably isn't worth a listen. After hearing this song a dozen or more times on TV - usually Comedy Central - I've come to like it. I'm gonna look around online to see what his most highly-regarded album is, and then I'll give it a listen. I used to get upset over this like you are. But please consider these three points: 1) Isn't it better that an artist you love cashes in on a great tune rather than writing a shitty one that sells? 2) Who gives an eff? and 3) TV is almost entirely shit. Unless you were watching the very few shows that are actually quality programs, you have no business questioning anyone's integrity.

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home