Thursday, January 11, 2007

Stupid CD Commercial Alert

While watching some program before the Sabres' game Wednesday night, I saw a commercial so insulting to my intelligence and music geekdom that I had to comment here.
The ad concerned "Goin' South," a two-CD compilation of rock songs that generally fell into the southern rock/boogie, country rock and blues rock areas, with the title reference apparently meaning that these bands had something to do with the sounds or geography of the South, mainly Southeast, United States. Many bands were not surprising in their inclusion, namely Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Outlaws, Blackfoot, the Eagles and even a band I remember as fondly as the Georgia Satellites.
But I was astounded by some of the other inclusions: George Thorogood, who by the name of his accompanying band, the Delaware Destroyers, shows he is a Northeast Coast guy and plays a very loud, pedestrian "blooz" rock that never reminded me of anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon Line; Rick Derringer, from Ohio, who may have played with Johnny Winter and the Edgar Winter Group but whose song here, "Rock and Roll Hootchie Coo," is not Southern Rock by any stretch of the imagination, and last but not least, Golden Earring, which hails from the down-home confines of The Hague, The Netherlands, and for the life of me I can't figure out how their best-known songs, "Radar Love" and "Twilight Zone," or any of their other songs, could fit anywhere here except that the CD producers were able to acquire the rights to use the song.
Yes, I was screaming these things at the television as the commercial was broadcast, and no, I don't feel any better about it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah... Those compilations make no sense. I'm sure the Black Crowes were nowhere to be found.

I'm assuming the screaming intensified during the Sabres game. Oh... wait. That was Wednesday....

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, I managed to pilfer that schlocky Time-Life collection that Air Supply's been hawkin'... If you want a copy....


Come on... 10cc? Bonnie Tyler? Dobie Gray? It's got romantic Saturday night written all over it.

10:33 AM  
Blogger val said...

Gee, um, thanks, Prego, but I think I'll pass on that CD copy for a while.

That stuff is WAY too reminiscent of my adolescence before I found some more, er, up tempo music to enjoy, although 10cc is a favorite of mine, a band I feel is underappreciated.

Oh, and the screaming and gnashing of teeth was quite evident during Buffalo's 4-2 loss to Toronto.

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home