Monday, January 08, 2007

Put Down the Cliche and Step Back, Please

One of the lessons I was taught in journalism school and in the world of journalism/writing is to avoid repetition at all costs; not only using the same words, but the same ideas.
So, after hearing this expression used on virtually, if not actually, every single television and radio station, in all newspapers, magazines and even blogs in Buffalo/Western New York: stop using the term "fish or cut bait" in referring to the Bass Pro Shop situation and nearing-its-end 30-day deadline for the company to commit to a store in Buffalo.
Let me be succinct. IT. IS. NOT. AND. HAS. NEVER. BEEN. FUCKING. FUNNY. It is just overused, tired and insulting to the intelligence of any living being above a slime vacuole.

12 Comments:

Blogger Derek J. Punaro said...

Sounds like my disdain of adding "-gate" to the end of every minor scandal.

10:34 PM  
Blogger val said...

Yes, indeed, Derek, you make an excellent point. I also hate the addition of "gate" to the name of a scandal of any level.

Don't people remember that the Watergate was the name of the hotel?: My former colleagues in the media deserve the blame for this one.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say, Kev, is

HUUUUUUUUGE.

11:29 PM  
Blogger val said...

For some reason, Prego, Billy Fucillo and his commercials don't bother me too much. Not that I encourage them, either.

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, we could technically call it...

...baitgate?

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fishorcutbait-gate...I think I'll use that next time I see Derek.

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The phrase that should be retired is "..in harms way". It has become meaningless through repetition.

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would it be allright to use "shit or get off the pot" instead?

I'm right with you as well, Derek. Some people just don't think.

And "In Harm's Way" means nothing but an Otto Preminger movie to me. :)

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN KEVIN...

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guys
A true American Patriot, John Paul Jones, the Father of the American Navy, Said

"I have no need for a ship which is not fast, for I intend to go in Harm's Way"

John Wayne said a line in the movie watching a cruiser departing Pearl Harbor, supposedly to join ADM Bull Halsey's task force.
"A fast ship going in Harm's Way".

We still have some commanders today that are fearless as John Paul Jones. Unfortunately the civilians that run the military are a bunch of chicken-shits.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Evil Ed said...

Would it be allright to use "shit or get off the pot" instead?

Just be thankful it's not a toilet factory.

11:27 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Who knows, maybe in a week or two we'll stop hearing references to this at all, although some media outlets will continue the story for months afterward.

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home