Sunday, January 28, 2007

Not On, Wisconsin

The University of Wisconsin men's basketball team, ranked number 2 in the nation, defeated the University of Iowa earlier this afternoon, 57-46, to raise its record to 20-1 overall, 6-0 in the Big Ten Conference.
As readers here know, Val and I are major Wisconsin fans (Val lived there, etc.), and I should have been reporting this to you after watching the nationally-televised game. Unfortunately, WIVB-TV, the local CBS affiliate, did not carry today's game, but instead, chose to carry paid programming, in particular, a 700 Club Telethon. That's right, a frigging 700 Club Telethon; oh, the excitement.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 700 Club already have its own cable television station, which appears locally on Time Warner? And, as Val put it, isn't the 700 Club basically a telethon anyway? We will be sending out e-mails of annoyance; we realize it won 't change anything, but we have to say something about this.
The timing of the Wisconsin-Iowa game not being broadcast here is interesting for Val and me; while eating brunch at Solid Grounds on Elmwood Avenue today, a couple stopped as they were leaving; the man looked at me and said, "go, Badgers," because I was wearing my Wisconsin hat and Val had on her Green Bay Packers' sweatshirt. We ended up talking, and it turns out that the couple moved to Buffalo from Wisconsin last July; Reese is from Madison, and Tamara, who took a job at Buffalo State College, is from Lacrosse (I hope I got the names correct). We talked about all things Wisconsin, from the university and the Packers to Lake Michigan, cheese curds and brats.
It's a small world, after all ...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

57-46?

A pox on the Big-Ten!

9:08 PM  
Blogger val said...

Hmm; do you mean that as your comment, Kevin P., or WIVB-TV's, on Wisconsin and the Big Ten?

I guess having been a big, slow guy during my basketball career who played strong defense and on the boards both ways, and who thrived in a team defense style, I should have been a Bg Ten fan earlier.

I have a feeling the Badgers will do some real damage in the tournament this year. And yes, I know that 57-46 sounds more like a high school score.

9:58 PM  
Blogger val said...

Hmm; do you mean that as your comment, Kevin P., or WIVB-TV's, on Wisconsin and the Big Ten?

I guess having been a big, slow guy during my basketball career who played strong defense and on the boards both ways, and who thrived in a team defense style, I should have been a Big Ten fan earlier.

I have a feeling the Badgers will do some real damage in the tournament this year. And yes, I know that 57-46 sounds more like a high school score.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have to respond twice, do I?

Anyway, Big Ten basketball brings me down. I've always been a fan of up-tempo play (hey, I played guard).

That being said I am currently watching Pitt-Nova battle their way to a Big Tenesque score.

And apparently they had a commercial break promo at Villanova that involved fans throwing heads of lettuce on the court, and the game is delayed while the officials painstakingly attempt to pick up all these little pieces of lettuce.

High comedy, indeed.

8:43 PM  
Blogger val said...

A guard? That explains a lot. And when we changed some settings at the blog, we seem to have lost the delete comment function, Mr. Wisenheimer.

Pitt only beat Villanova 65-59? Real upbeat basketball; when Pitt was ranked number 2, Wisconsin beat the Panthers, 89-75, so it appears someone can play upbeat ball. Oh, BTW, the Badgers are currently ranked number 2, and actually 21-1 overall, 7-0 in the Big Ten.

I only watched a bit of the game you saw tonight, Kevin (we watched Antiques Roadshow and then the third period of the Rangers-Bruins game), so I missed the lettuce promotion, which I in no way understand.

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home