Thursday, December 14, 2006

Not a Nickname Fan, Sabres Edition

Nope, I've never been much of a fan of nicknames, neither for people (unless they always use it instead of their real name) nor of the contraction short names for offices, departments, sports teams, etc.
So, that statement leads me to this: Dear people who call the Buffalo Sabres "The Sabes." STOP IT NOW. You are only dropping one letter, r, one sound, "ur," and you are looking like lazy, Johnny-Come-Lately douche bags when you call the Sabres this.
Thank you, and please return to your regular blogging and reading.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to wholeheartedly disagree here. I'm a nickname giver - I take after my dad, who always refered to me as Pico, my brother Nano and my sister Nana.

The Sabres? Yeah. I have a nickname for them, too. Read about it Here.

9:10 PM  
Blogger val said...

Geez, interesting entry and nickname for the Sabres, Prego. I respect you and others calling them the Wh*res than "the Sabes" any day.

I think your first point is illuminating; my late dad Edward only had Ed as a nickname, and was not one to use them or to give them to us kids or others. I get called Kev only very occasionally, and prefer it only from other Kevins or from really old friends or relatives.

It doesn't help that my high school nickname, Hose or The Hose, was not only dumb and disliked by me, but it was also my older brother's nickname and I did not want to be just a younger or new version of him.

12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home