Sunday, December 10, 2006

Here Comes Santa Claus

For the second straight year, Santaland, which was previously run by Erie County, was saved from non-existence by volunteers, this year led by Alan Bedenko, head of the Western New York Coalition for Progress, and Amy Maxwell, the tireless Buffalo booster from Revitalize Buffalo.
I haven't really had the chance recently to give back to the community in ways I should (I have been very fortunate over the years and remain so), and when I heard that someone was needed to be Santa Claus this year, I volunteered to do so. Amy provided me with the costume, which fit much better than was expected for someone of my height, and with Val as Santa's helper, we headed down to Chestnut Ridge Park Saturday morning for the first day.
We got there just in time, and there were a couple of children ready as soon as I sat my red self down; I was fortunate to start the day with a brother-sister team who were considerate, well-mannered and spoken and intelligent. It may surprise some readers, and actually pleasantly surprised me, but the large majority of children were very well behaved, at times better behaved than some of the parents. A couple parents were, oh, shall we say, pushy in their setting up of photos of their children individually, then in teams and then with friends, but hey, Santa was there for the kids, and that always helps you get past the less friendly elders.
Indeed, we only had about five of what Val accurately called "meltdowns," children who just became inconsolable and bawled uncontrollably, We had a few more children who began to sniffle as they realized that their just moments ago loving parents had deposited them onto the lap of some strange, large, white-haired fellow in a red suit who started asking them questions. One of the meltdowns, albeit a slow one, was provided by Mia, the incredibly cute, brown-eyed daughter of WGRZ-TV reporter Stefan Mychajliw, who gave Santa and her father a serious "how dare you?" look after Stefan put her on my lap for about 5 seconds before the tears and removal started.
The gifts the children asked for were varied, but some trends developed; Diego dolls, all things Princess, Star Wars items, X Boxes, video games and PS3 games were the most asked for toys, while Buffalo Sabres jerseys were also very popular, the single most asked for clothing item. At least 10 children asked for Sabres jerseys, including two specific requests each for Max Afinogenov and Ryan Miller jerseys and one for a Daniel Briere jersey, as well as requests for Sabres hockey sticks.
One hockey jersey request raised some parental eyebrows. A brother and sister were brought up to Santa by their parents; the girl asked for a Sabres jersey among other items, and after her brother asked for a few toys, he asked for a hockey jersey. When his mother asked him to tell Santa which one, he said "The Senators," and repeated it when she asked him a second time. She then asked him which player, seeming to think that he would name a Sabre. "Ray Emery," he said with a smile, naming the Ottawa Senators' goalie.
One thing I am still learning, despite Val's repeated warnings/advice before we started and continued to tell me to watch for during my first day as Santa was to stay in my "Santa voice," and not just for the "ho, ho, ho" portion of being Santa. I tried and tried, and things got better as the first 6-hour session went on, but I still have to work on it, especially when a parent asks me a question. But at least none of the children caught me or corrected me.
Another concern that worked out better was drinking hot chocolate; Val got me a straw to use, and fortunately, my beard has an actual opening where one's mouth would be, between the mustache and beard portion, so I was able to drink the hot chocolate without lifting up the beard. I did have to lift the beard for the small half-bag of potato chips I ate, my only food, and really, the only food I could have eaten with all of the children visiting. Otherwise, the beard and wig are pains in the arse from which you have to clear stray hairs from your mouth and eyes all day long.
All told, I had a great time as Santa Claus on day one, with great help and support from Val as well as the Santaland volunteer staff, and hope to have more fun later today and at least one day next week. See you there, and, you guessed it, ho, ho, ho.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home