Thursday, November 30, 2006

Good Bye, Home of the Hits

Word has just come in that one of the best independent record/music stores Buffalo has ever supported, Home of the Hits, 1105 Elmwood Avenue, will sadly close its doors for good by the end of December.
While we know that brick-and-mortar music stores, particularly independent ones, have been hit hard by mammoths such as Wal-Mart and Target and their sometimes ridiculously low prices, as well as the increasing popularity of digital music and downloads through outlets such as iTunes, good independent music stores such as Home of the Hits and New World Record, also on Elmwood Avenue, added the knowledge, fun, sense of community and occasional snarkiness (see "High Fidelity") that make music more than just listening, but a shared, vital experience. As a former employee of Cavages, I know how much better this certain audience was served by stores such as Home of the Hits.
Sadly, due to financial considerations, my music purchases have been rather limited these last few years, which reduced my recent visits to Home of the Hits to zero, but there was no single store or musical experience, with the exception of my time DJing at WBNY 91.3 FM, that helped me enjoy, appreciate and learn about music more. I first visited and bought music at Home of the Hits, an album no doubt, about 25 years ago, and I honestly cannot remember if it was Home of the Hits or Play It Again Sam. I cannot remember every clerk, associate, manager or whoever worked here over the years, but those who stand out in my mind include Marty Boratin, Jim Krawczyk, Phil Maltby, Rich Wall, Eric Van Rysdam (EVR), Chris Celeste and its owner for all of these years, Jennifer Preston.
While some might wrongly say that she was just a business owner, I thank Jennifer for keeping Home of the Hits open as a must-visit store for local music fans and visiting musicians and others interested in good music, independent and major label. Having lived across the street at 1094 Elmwood Avenue, as well as on nearby Potomac Avenue and Baynes Street, I spent what some would consider an excessive amount of time at the store. On Saturdays, laundry days, I would spend hours there, talking to the staff, other shoppers, friends and whoever on all aspects of music and life, and I would hate leaving without buying at least one recording or t-shirt. I got the best and largest part of my old punk/new wave button collection at Home of the Hits, as well as some great 45s.
I have no idea what the plans are for the building and property, owned by Jennifer, nor do I know about the future of the staff. I do know how much the store, its staff, owner, patrons and supporters meant to me and to Val, who also spent hours, days and weeks of her life at Home of the Hits. I do know it will always take up a large part of my formative years and memory.

5 Comments:

Blogger Prego said...

Monsieur Celeste gave me the bad news. That does suck. In all honesty, I haven't shopped there in a while either. The money I'd spend on CDs went towards diapers.

I always thought the O-Dog would work there and give his old man discounts.... damn.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

My gosh, Prego, you have taken the O-Dog to Home of the HIts, haven't you? I mean, it is a necessity now, so he can at least get a small taste of this building block of our not so wasted lives. A musical pilgrimage is in order.

And, heh, the musical retirement plan sounded pretty good.

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sucks hard.

In all seriousness, this is just one more reason to leave Buffalo when I'm through with college.

Buffalo is terrible in terms of independent music stores. There's New World Record, complete with its assholish staff and generally-disappointing selection. And what else? Record Theatre?

Buffalo has just gone down another notch.

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow...i haven't been there in years. we used to be 'regulars' there...would drive over the border from st catharines. haven't been in a LONG time (moved to toronto, blah blah). was planning on going THIS weekend and thought "gee, they must have a website by now". found this instead. sad news... :(

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved that store while a student at UB some 20 plus years ago.

i fully expected it to last...i'm bummed out.

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home