Tuesday, December 12, 2006

More Musical Memories: The Ramrods

I recently wrote about coming across a cassette of music by the Moment, one of Buffalo's best original bands, and since I got a good response and because I do listen to older local material as well as more recent releases for reviewing, etc., I will mention another recording of a band from days ago I am enjoying.
The Ramrods were one of the hardest rocking bands in this area during the late 1980s and 1990s, and while the band, singer Bill Scott, guitarists Pat Neal and John Paa, bassist Norm Schwegler and drummer Craig Voigt, released a 12-inch 45 RPM record, the band's CD was never released, or at least not until about a year and a half or two years ago.
The Ramrods' ass-kicking, rock and roll meets punk rock meets MC5 meets flame throwing R&B and 1960s rock sound is captured about as well as one could imagine. Songs like "While the City Sleeps," "Totaled," "Rockroll," "Heavy Shakin' Mamas" and "Full Tank/I'm in Love with My Car," some recorded in the studio and others recorded live, still send that chill down my spine and sweat down my brow. Damn, this is a great CD, one Val and I got at the last Ramrods' reunion show at Mohawk Place about a year and a half ago. I'll check to see if any more are available.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVED the Ramrods and was a huge fan in the late 80s. I just came across a cassette of 4 of their songs that lead singer Bill Scott had given me in high school they had made in a garage! I live across the country but would love to purchase one of their CDs. Can you tell me where I can get my hands on one of these? I will be back in Buffalo in a few months but could always have a friend snag one for me in the interim. Thanks:)

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home