Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Another Musical Rant

Really, I do like 107.7 FM The Lake, a lot, but last week, while I was driving home from work (I think), I heard another song that absolutely nauseates me, both because the song itself is a bad performance and that the performer has recorded better versions of the song.
Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground are major favorites of mine, but when Reed recorded a live album in 1973, Rock n Roll Animal, it included several versions of Velvet Underground songs that lost much of their grit, dissonance and strength. Instead, the two guitarists, led by Steve Hunter, play way over the top and in a manner than can best be called masturbatory. The worst wankfest of all is "Intro/Sweet Jane," the song/songs I heard last week. The guitars are bombastic to the point of criminal, and Reed sounds like he is singing at gunpoint as a contractual obligation.
The studio version of "Sweet Jane," as well as at least one live version, are both widely available on Velvet Underground recordings, which I hope The Lake acquires and buries the present dog turd of a song.

2 Comments:

Blogger Prego said...

My opinion is that at least they play it. Sure, the music purist in us will scrutinize which version, but it beats the f*** out of hearing Supertramp on 'Ninety-Hessian Rock' any day of the week.

I'd poop my pants if I ever hear the "Black Angel's Death Song" anywhere myself.

4:45 PM  
Blogger val said...

I know, Prego, I know, but I just can't get past the fact that The Lake is doing some good programming and could easily make a better decision here. It seems lazy, and you know how much this kind of things gets my blood flowing.
And hell, not only WUWU and WZIR, but even, yep, 97 Rock, played "Street Hassle" overnights, although I doubt you'll hear anyone play an album side of Berlin any time soon.

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home