Wednesday, April 26, 2006

New Hat

I said goodbye to a longtime friend Monday night when I tossed my black and red, Buffalo Sabres head-logo hat onto the ice after JP Dumont scored his third goal in Buffalo's 8-2 win over the Flyers at the HSBC Arena.
That hat goes back 6-8 years with me, even pre-dating Val and I as a romantic couple, and was part of some of my fondest memories; it is there in probably my all-time favorite photo, one of me and Val on a small bridge outside Doolin in County Clare, Ireland, June 23, 2003, on our first anniversary, as a bonfire marking the summer solstice starts behind us.
But, a new member of the family has arrived; I went down to the Sabres store at the HSBC Arena after work yesterday and bought a new hat, this one a blue one with the old logo, to go with my red hat with the crossed Sabres' logo and black writing; they were out of almost all hats after Monday's game. My only real concern in the whole process was that I could not find the hours of the store's operation on the Sabres.com web site, and the choices I was given when I called the Sabres did not list the store among them. I told this to the person I did get through to in customer service, who when I told her that they might want to put the hours on the web site or in a better place, would only repeat the hours and ask if here was anything else I needed. Sorry, I was just trying to help.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a shame that businesses don't listen to their customers. The person on the other line didn't seem too happy with their job, or else they would have been more attentive to what you were saying.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

You're right, Maria; the person did not sound happy nor did she seem very attentive or interested in what I was saying, but rather like she was all but reading from a script. I was not angry and I didn't yell at her, and I tried to make suggestions to help. Val and I have ordered things from the sabres.com web site before and use it for Sabres news as well.
Also, we have always had good experiences at the Sabres Store itself, both through very helpful and pleasant people and the merchandise itself.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kevin,

Thanks so much for eliminating the need to sign up for blogger to comment on your site.

I don't think I could have parted with a hat like that...so many memories!

But only a sports fan like yourself could understand the moment like you did.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

You know, Kevin, I did hesitate for just a moment before I launched my hat onto the ice, but it was the first Sabres' playoff game for Val and I and, damn, how many times do you get to witness in person a playoff hat trick?
Val laughed and pointed out that a day before the game, I mentioned that I should probably wear my second-string Sabres hat so that if a Sabre scored a hat trick, I wouldn't lose my first-string hat. But the new blue and gold hat with the old (and apparently soon returning) insignia is a hit with both of us, as well as our friend/musician/sound person Renee Roberts, whose favorite all-time Sabre is, you guessed it, René Robert.
And you and Mark keep up the good work on Bfloblog.com,

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home