Tuesday, December 20, 2005

When I'm out on the Street

OK, as well as being anal in general, I absolutely hate it when people can't park correct to the point where it affects and hurts others, especially when it hurts Val or I. Our neighborhood occasionally has situations like that, with two recently involving us.
One car, a white or off-white Ford Taurus, had parked across part of our driveway during the fall, and with the fence and light pole near the mouth of the driveway, Val's car can be easily blocked in it (I usually park on the street). Well, about two weeks ago, the car had parked overnight in a position completely blocking the driveway; apparently the fence, driveway, light pole and tire tracks Val left when she went to work were a bit too subtle for the person parking the vehicle to consider. I wake up at about 6 a.m. weekdays and leave the house before 8 a.m.; when I saw the car there, I figured I would be nicer than my normal lovely morning self is and wait until I had showered, dressed, checked e-mail and went downstairs for breakfast before I called the police.
The car was still there when I got downstairs, and after I fed the dog, I called and told them the situation; they said they would send the next available car. Well, the officer drove up just before I left, so I grabbed my coat and went outside. The officer was already writing the parking ticket for the car, and I told him I was sorry to call about what might seem to be an unimportant situation; he replied that it was good that I had called, because it may take a ticket for this person to stop parking across our driveway. After I got my knapsack and coffee and was locking the front door, the alterna couple came out of a house across the street (of all the houses on our block, 30-40, three or four of them are rentals, including theirs) and got into their car, he of the oh, so nicely angled knit ski hat, she of the banana blonde dyed hair (yep, I have lost my normal patience with people by now). They got in the car, somehow not seeing the fluorescent orange ticket on the white car and snow, and after the engine started, Slappy the Driver noticed the ticket, got out, read it, and got back in the car, looking shocked before hitting the dashboard and driving away, all the while not acknowledging me standing on the porch.
The second involves an enormous white Ford pickup truck; the driver often parks it with the rear hanging way out into traffic or partly across driveways. He picked our driveway to completely block a week and a half ago for about 7 hours, and the police were unable to respond before he drove away with his girlfriend, who lives two doors down from us. I told him not to park across our driveway and asked him if it was difficult to see the driveway; he just said "Uh, sorry," without looking up and drove away. I was steaming, but eventually I was laughing, because he parked across the driveway of a house across the street and two doors down a couple of days after that; the homeowner's father, who also lives there, is a retired Buffalo Police Department detective, and I cheered as I saw the pickup truck loaded onto a flatbed truck and hauled away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home