Friday, November 25, 2005

Black Friday thoughts

Yes, I put in my time for many years in retail and have vivid memories of the day after Thanksgiving, also known as Black Friday, and believe you me, I don't miss retail too much (sales, stock and management), although it wasn't the living hell it seems to have become.
First, I urge anyone shopping this holiday season (and really all year) to remember that the sales people, stock people and even the managers/supervision are human beings. It won't suddenly make an item appear after you have been told that it is out of stock if you swear, scream and spew sarcasm at a sales person, nor will it help to yell at a stock person who took 5 seconds from your carryout to put his or her coat on. On the other hand, retail people should remember that while they may have been asked a question 5, 10 or even 25 times, there is a good chance this is the first time the person in front of them or on the phone is asking the same question.
Of course, these and enormous crowds are part of the reasons why more people are shopping online or at smaller stores than at larger stores and malls. Personally, I am working today so I don't even have to think about joining the fray.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home