Wednesday, October 05, 2005

I'm out of touch

Now THAT is a song title by a pair of talented musicians, Darryl Hall and John Oates. In contrast, while looking around amazon.com's music area Monday, I came across a relatively new CD by Martin Briley.
"Wow," I thought to myself, "is this the guy who did 'Salt in My Tears?' What an awful song that was. Does he have a new CD out, and who would release it?" Well, it turned out that the CD I saw was "Martin Briley - The Mercury Years," on Hip-o Select, and includes the aforementioned song, Briley's biggest "hit." It turns out that this is a 2-disc set and the reviewer basically describes Briley as a forgotten, talented artist who was overlooked. For some reason, Briley got a lot of play on Buffalo radio way back when, and his stuff was second or third-rate, at times sub-Bob Seger stuff to my ears, and appropriately forgotten.
At this rate, I can hardly wait for a "Benny Mardones Retrospective" 3-CD set or the Billy and the Beaters' "Basement Tapes."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home