Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Lost in the Supermarket

Between being a music freak and an anal person in general, I take close notice of music being played in stores, especially supermarkets, when I/we shop.
Sunday, I did the grocery shopping alone while Val rested up mainly from her Friday IV steroid treatment for her multiple sclerosis, combined with her shooting a show at Mohawk Place Saturday (review to come soon at http://Buffaloroots.com). We shop at Wegmans in North Buffalo (we live in the Elmwood Village in the city), and in the past, music has been pretty good there at times, including Roxy Music and David Bowie. Well, things weren't so good this time; as I entered the store, I was welcomed with the sounds of England Dan and John Ford Coley warbling "I'd Really Love to See You Tonight," a song which I oh, so cleverly changed to "I'd Really Love to See Yours Tonight," awfully amusing for a young adolescent. I was able to zone out the rest of the music during that shopping trip.
With holiday shopping intensifying, my presence in stores and malls will increase somewhat during the next month, but thankfully, due to Internet shopping, shopping at independent stores on Elmwood Avenue and from artists and Val using her artistic and graphics talent, I won't have to overdose on Muzak or Christmas and holiday music. Indeed, we do have some of our own Christmas and holiday music to listen to when we're in the mood, including songs and CDs by Bruce Cockburn, Leon Redbone, Celtic, How the Grinch Stole Christmas and the classic Charlie Brown music by the Vince Guaraldi Trio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home