Wednesday, December 28, 2005

My Current Musical Pet Peeve

I am neither sorry that with tonight's (Wednesday, December 28) Trans-Siberian Orchestra show at the HSBC Arena in Buffalo, I will not have to hear the damn annoying radio commercial for it again, nor am I sad that I missed the show.
First, this allegedly fantastic music, which I have taken the time to hear/listen to outside of the radio and television commercials it is featured in, is absolutely nothing more than fifth-rate, refried classical music blended with rock music into a most syrupy amalgamation of the worst prog rock and related musical styles have to offer (you're a mean one, Mr. Hosey...). Take the absolute worst that Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Kansas, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Marillion and maybe even Rush have to offer, make it more commercial and schmaltzier, and you're getting a bit close to the wretchedness that is the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Don't get me wrong, because I like some prog rock; hell, I asked for and received the new remastered double CD of Genesis' "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" from Val, and, while I mock her incessantly about Rush, I do acknowledge that the band has a lot of talent and has written and recorded some very good music, and I enjoy King Crimson, particularly "Red" and "Discipline." But while I admit that there appears to be some talent in the band's musicianship, the Trans-Siberian Orchestra's music to me is just awful, uninspired and cliche-ridden.
But what has pissed me off most about the radio commercial for the show is, when the guy with the deep radio voice is noting some reviews of the band, he quotes one reviewer as saying/writing that the band is "startlingly original." WHAT? Like or dislike the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, one thing the band is not is original; as well as all of the bands mentioned above, Electric Light Orchestra also blended rock and classical music, and if I remember correct, had just a wee bit of commercial success as well as, in my opinion, was creative and enjoyable. I am not a betting person, but if I was, I would put money on the fact that the person who wrote the above quote is not and has never been a popular music/rock music writer or critic.

2 Comments:

Blogger EAL said...

Thanks, Kevin. I have a few unwrapped CDs sitting near my desk and always feel vaguely guilty that I don't pay more attention--aren't these people originally from here, or one of them?

I'll take your word on the badness of TSO--though I was a huge fan of ELP, King Crimson, Yes, and Genesis, and still listen occasionally.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Yes, you're correct; Trans Siberian Orchestra keyboardist Bob Kinkel hails from Williamsville. But don't worry, I think you're saving yourself from some aural pain by not checking out their CDs.
Oh, don't worry; I am enjoying the remastered double-CD of Genesis' The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway Val got me for Christmas, I still listen to King Crimson (Red and Discipline preferred) when I can and I did see Yes at The Aud in the late 1970s. The show was bombastic and not really good (and Rick Wakeman was frequently hidden by his banks of keyboards), and the only Yes song I can listen to and enjoy at this point is "Starship Trooper."
And damn, you're planning on putting in a pond next year? Val and I dream of doing that some day.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home