Tuesday, June 14, 2011

First Short Story Is DONE

I have wanted to write a short story for reasons other than a college writing assignment for years, and finally, after encouragement from my wife Val, friend/excellent writer Heather Holland Wheaton and others, I succeeded today.
It certainly wasn't easy; while I have been coming up with ideas for a while, I had not been good at writing them down. Instead, I went through them in my head, editing them as I thought about them (something I have done for my music writing for years). Sadly, I have forgotten way too much in good story ideas, dialogue and other fragments.
Indeed, I sat down at the computer after breakfast and some other work to write, having been inspired in the last week or so by Wheaton's reading of her new book "You Are Here" at Talking Leaves Books. But as soon as I opened a file, I came up absolutely, 100 percent blank. After spending too much time staring at the computer screen and my desk, I posted a frustrated status to Facebook, hoping to loosen up my mind and possibly get some inspiration from my friends.
As I read and responded to comments from my friends, I saw an item on my desk, a record and jacket from my late father Edward's collection. One of my ideas hit me clearly, and I started writing. I ended up with a 1,012-word story.
While I don't know if it is going to stay in its original form, whether or not it will be slightly changed, overhauled, lengthened or shortened, whether it is good, bad or mediocre, or way off target, it is done. The next step is for my best editor and critic, my loving wife Val, to read it and give me some feedback.
But I have finally gotten back in the saddle, and I have more ideas and inspiration flowing. I'm looking forward to where this will take me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Congratulations. What are your plans for the story after your wife reads it?

1:48 AM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

It depends on what Val has to say about it, Jennifer, but I want to have it published somewhere.

By published, I of course mean made available for reading, and I am not fooling myself to believe that people are going to be waving money in front of me for this. It will probably be made available online somewhere, maybe at a new web site.

I am very eager to receive feedback on it, because while I have a sense of my writing strengths and weaknesses, I need an outside viewpoint, especially as I write in a new format for me.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Shawn Dudley said...

Nice work, Kev. This has been on my to-do list for years. The short story is my favorite literary form. I hope to have the opportunity to read it.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Thanks, Shawn. I have been wanting to try writing short stories for years, too, since the last time I did it was in college for class.

I do plan on making my stories available one ay or another, probably starting online, with definitely the first ones posted to be read, get feedback and hopefully entertain. I've got some ideas already that I plan to start on soon.

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home