Monday, June 13, 2011

Dad's Vinyl Bait and Switch, Part Infinity?




Once again, while cleaning out and sorting my late father Edward's vinyl record collection, my hopes were raised and then lowered by reading and then checking the contents of an album.
One album/collection I recently found has a jacket reading "Vol. 4 This Modern Age" from "The History of Jazz" collection. The still bright green cover has a charcoal drawing apparently based on a session photograph, and the featured artists listed on the front jacket are Billy Butterfield, Benny Carter, Nat (King) Cole, Hank D'Amico, Vic Dickenson, John Guarnieri, Bob Haggart, Coleman Hawkins, Stan Kenton, Baby Lovett, Howard McGhee, Jay McShann, Eddie Miller, Bump Myers, Oscar Moore, Walter Page, Oscar Pettiford, Allan Reuss, Bobby Sherwood, Oliver Todd, Stan Wrightman "and many others." Inside, there are black and white photos of many of the artists listed.
There is no other information on the record jacket, including when it was recorded, but a quick Internet search shows that this and the other three volumes in this series were released by Capitol Records in 1945. Whether or not this record set was/is particularly valuable, it sounds rather interesting.
Of course, the records inside this jacket/cover are not those listed on, but instead there are five Vaughn Monroe and His Orchestra disks, in order front to back: "The Legend of Tiabi," b/w "Cool Water, RCA Victor 20-2923; "The Things We Did Last Summer," b/w "Now More Than Ever," RCA Victor 20-1972; "Rides in the Sky," b/w "Single Saddle," RCA Victor 20-3411; "Matinee," b/w "Someone Who Cares," RCA Victor 20-2671; "Tallahassee," b/w "I Wish I Didn't Love You So," RCA Victor 20-2294.
After seeing these records, I checked the piece of packing tape on the cover, and the faint yellow marker in fact reads "Vaughan Monroe" if you hold it up to the light. Oops. I hope you appreciate the image of this record collection above; I don't know why Photo Booth shoots these images in reverse, and I cannot figure out how to change this, so that is why the image appears like this for now.
I have found way more Vaughn Monroe records in my father's collection than the interest Dad ever expressed to me about him. Another mystery I'll never get answered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home