Monday, March 28, 2011

Retirement Humor, New York State Style

I received mail from the New York State Office of the Comptroller a couple of days ago, and it looked official enough for me to immediately open it.
Inside was a letter and other information sent to me about the New York State Retirement System; while I worked for Erie County for 5 years and almost 11 months, I am officially credited with 5 years 9 months of service with the system, which makes me a vested member.
Apparently, every vested member of the system receives this mailing when he or she turns age 50, because it made mention that as I approached retirement age, the earliest which is 55 with 30 years of service in New York's system, that I needed to know that I had to file my intention to retire and start collecting at age 55 before I started receiving benefits. It also reminded me that I would not receive my full New York State retirement amount upon my early retirement, and that the full amount would kick in at age 62.
I'm sure the mailing was chock full of more important information, but my laughter overtook any other serious review. If anyone thinks that I (or they) can retire on 5 years 9 months worth of state retirement credits based on the salary I earned at the Erie County Legislature, they are more wrong than climate change deniers.
Quite frankly, I wonder if I will ever truly be able to retire, although it would also be nice to have a career from which I could retire.
Dear New York State Office of the Comptroller: Don't wait up for my filing for state retirement system benefits.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Adult Communities New York said...

It was funny but they are serious on what they've said.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Yeah, it is serious to follow correct procedure; I wish I didn't have to plan to wait 25, 30 or so years to do so.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home