Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Autumn Leaves ...

Val and I had been trying to find time to watch some of the colorful leaf scenery events the last few weeks, but the leaves, apparently partly due to a shorter-than-normal summer, have taken their time going from green to yellow, gold, orange and red.
But we finally found a bit of time last Saturday, so Val, Walker Evans and I drove out to Chestnut Ridge Park in Orchard Park; it was a smart decision. The leaves were turning color very well, much more advanced than the small amount of change in our Elmwood Village neighborhood. Val took lots of photos, including some of Walker Evans and I for our Christmas card.
One of our highlights was finding a small, secluded but open area, which we soon found out was surrounding a very cool creek. Val took some great photos there, particularly of Walker, who was fascinated first with the running water (as he has become in other parks), then with single leaves, which he would chase, pick up from the creek and chew just once before putting them back into the creek.
We hadn't been to Chestnut Ridge Park in years, and that was when I portrayed Santa Claus in a charity holiday event, and we recommend visiting the park for some great fall foliage.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds lovely. I hope to see some photos of it! We've got to get on the Christmas car thing ourselves. (Also, judging from some not-so-subtle hints from a certain mother/grandmother/great-grandmother, I'd better send some updated prints of David if I know what's good for me.) Don't expect too much fall color in ours, though. I'd love to come up there in the fall one of these days.

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home