Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Chicken Wing Intervention

My niece Colleen (Hosey) Tucker and her husband Mike are still visiting here from Arizona, and Val and I went with them and my mother, Sheila, who they stayed with most of the time, to a memorial Mass for my father, Edward, and her father/my brother, Brian, Saturday, and went out to dinner and ice cream at Friendly's.
Val and I then planned on taking Colleen and Mike around for our version of a tour of Buffalo Sunday, and we were able to visit the new downtown waterfront area by the Erie Canal remnants, the Elmwood Village, Allentown, the Richardson Towers, the Central Terminal and a few other areas. We had a great time.
But before the tour, while we were preparing to leave Sunday morning, Val noticed that Mike had posted on Facebook that he wanted to sample a local delicacy, and mentioned doing so at ... Buffalo Hot Wings. When Val read this, she told me that we had to perform a chicken wing intervention. We have four places that we will go for wings: Gabriel's Gate, Cole's, the Century Grille and La Nova; the two places closest to our house are Gabriel's Gate on Allen Street and La Nova on West Ferry Street, and since both were recent winner's in the Buffalo Spree Magazine Best of Buffalo shindig/edition, I brought that publication with us to, er, suggest them to Mike and Colleen.
Colleen was born and partly raised here in Buffalo/Western New York, so she had no problem with them, and Mike was very open to trying real chicken wings in Buffalo (no, we will not call them Buffalo wings). We went to Gabriel's Gate and had a great dinner, all of us ordering wings, and I had forgotten that this would be the first time Mike tried wings with blue cheese, because he gets them with, ugh, ranch dressing at home.
Baby steps, Mike; baby steps, and welcome to the Hosey family.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Aaron always has them with ranch too! He wrinkles his nose at my blue cheese every time.

We've had the "You don't call them Buffalo wings in Buffalo" conversation too. (Just like I didn't call it "Indian fry bread" on the reservation and you wouldn't say "Chinese food" in China.)

But I distinctly remember one of the times I was out there, someone referring to Taco Bell or its equivalent as "Mexican food."

Glad to hear everyone had a great time.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Mike Miller said...

Hi Kevin,

It's too bad you didn't bring the by the terminal on Saturday, for our 80th anniversary celebration. I would have shown you around!

Mike

10:42 AM  
Blogger Colleen Hosey said...

Thank you again for taking us on a tour of Buffalo. For all the times I've been out, I haven't had that thorough of a tour. We really appreciated it.

We also really enjoyed the wings. Mike now knows why they are called Buffalo Wings out here. He enjoyed it so much that he wanted Anchor Bar wings in the airport for breakfast before we left. He has always turned up his nose to me liking blue cheese on mine, but I think he may do it more often; except some places out here only give ranch and they charge extra for blue cheese! Thanks again!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wait, you mean before this trip he didn't know why they were called Buffalo wings out here? And he knows we're from Buffalo? Tee hee.

Yeah; you're right about the tour. We hit the touristy highlights a lot, but it sounds like you got a really good tour of the city. (For grownups!) I am jealous.

I hate that they charge extra for blue cheese here. I feel like saying "Yeah, and go ahead and charge me a buck extra and put cheese on the pizza, too."

11:15 AM  
Blogger heather said...

They charge extra for bleu cheese in Rochester too. And most people don't use even just down the road!

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home