Wednesday, May 06, 2009

It's Amazing What a Fake Holiday Will Do

My drive home down South Elmwood and Elmwood Avenues yesterday was busier and slower than normal, and I think I know why.
I noticed that vehicle and pedestrian traffic was much heavier than normal on Elmwood, especially in the Allen Street and North Street areas, as I drove home at about 5 p.m. Wednesday.
Of course, it then hit me: the day was May 5, and the Cozumel restaurant was in that bloc, so it was time for bars, restaurants, etc., to call on that fake holiday which next to none of them understand, Cinco de Mayo, to help them sell more alcohol and fake Tex-Mex food.
On top of this, Monday and today, Wednesday, May 4 and 6, I will have attended and be attending Cinco de Mayo events, where such authentic food will be served. Ole.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ron E. said...

I got caught in that maelstrom, too.
Cinco de Mayo is the new Mardi Gras: a holiday that has no meaning whatsoever to anyone celebrating it in a bar in WNY.

On the bright side, sooner or later Dyngus Day will catch on in the bars of North America. (Pussy willows coming soon to Party City!)

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home