Thursday, April 16, 2009

I'm Driving in My Car ...

Once again, some interesting things happened when I was driving around a bit, this time Tuesday late afternoon/early evening.
I was driving on Delaware Avenue in Buffalo away from downtown when, to what to my wondering eyes did appear turning onto Delaware Avenue from North Street but a red Chevrolet Chevette, with a black grille and so on, in ridiculously good shape, at least body wise, from a visual check.
I was listening to my old aural stomping grounds, WBNY 91.3 FM (1984-85), and the DJ I heard at first (he or she took no mics while I was listening) played some great music, most of it either 1960s mod or garage rock oriented, or later music influenced by such bands. The last song she or he played was the Velvet Underground's "I'm Waiting for the Man."
This was followed by two females who seemed to have even less radio experience than I did when I was at the station; one was unable to complete a sentence without saying "kinda like," and neither acted like they knew that other people were listening to what they were saying. One eventualy mentioned that they were going to play some "country" music, and then both noted how oh, so happy they were to play some ... Keith Urban.
Keith fucking Urban? This is WBNY 91.3 FM; remember alternative music, college rock or new music? There is a world of country music that could have been played without going to one of the overplayed, dolled-up superstars, the kind of music WBNY at least used to play. Furthermore, WYRK 106.5 FM plays Keith Urban and other country musicians of this level and ilk, so there is no reason for a college radio station with quality and a reputation like WBNY to be playing Keith Urban.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home