Sunday, March 16, 2008

Wisconsin Men's Basketball Screwed Again?

My answer, slightly biased to some because of my fandom, is yes, after the Badgers received the number-3 seed in the Midwest bracket of the NCAA men's basketball tournament.
Wisconsin is ranked higher than Georgetown, which received the number-2 seed in the Midwest, has a better record (29-4 to 27-5) and won both the Big Ten Conference regular-season and tournament championships, while the Hoyas won the Big East Conference regular-season championship but were knocked out of the tournament by Pitt.
One CBS Sports commentator (I forgot to catch his name) said after the East bracket seeds were announced that it was apparent that the NCAA committee had taken the conference tournament results into account; my ass they did. When they showed the Badgers gathered as their seeding was announced, you could tell that they were less than thrilled with the number-3 seed.
Among those who agree with me on Wisconsin is CNN/SI.com college basketball writer Luke Winn, whose comments on the NCAA tournament choices can be found here, among other places (go down to number 5 for the Wisconsin reference).
I will no doubt have more to write on this later on, but I am pretty pissed off at this stage.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wisconsin got completely screwed.
they won the big 10.
they won the big 10 tourney.
they went into conference tourney week ranked 6th and 8th.
wisconsin is absolutely one of the top 8 teams in the country.
there is no doubt they deserved a 2 seed.
now they play usc in their 2nd game, and gorgetown in the 3rd, while ncaa love child ucla gets a walk into the final four.
total bs.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Yeah, now that I'm awake, I feel even more pissed off about Wisconsin being screwed.

While I don't deny that UCLA has a decent team, I do believe that too many people are impressed by a shiny record and don't look at the actual quality of the team.

It also feels like another middle finger being given to fundamental, strong defensive basketball; so what if Wisconsin has the best scoring defense in NCAA Division I?

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home