Monday, March 31, 2008

Time, Spending and Wasting

I took a day off of work Monday, because Val and I had some things we had to do and to recover somewhat from working at TriMania Saturday (from about 11:30 a.m.-2:45 p.m. and 5:15 p.m.-1:30 a.m.).
Part of the time I should have been resting/sleeping at night I spent up watching television (mainly sports) and reading some Internet stuff (blogs, web sites, etc.), but I have caught up a bit on the rest situation. Of course, I should have done more writing (Val has also noted that), and I am fighting some bad recent habits so I can do more writing here, on our web site and my freelance career.
Along with writing goes reading, and I did a good amount of that this weekend, through books, newspapers, magazines and online, which brings me to a situation that has kept me thinking. Val had a monthly meeting Monday for a state grant she and several other artists received; she was gone for about 5 hours, in which I fed the dog, gave him his evening healthy treat, made dinner and so on.
But I spent most of my time reading several web sites, including historical and news sites, as well as a few blogs, having fallen behind on a bunch of things from being busy this weekend. When Val got home, I mentioned that I had done this and kind of apologized for "wasting my time."
I soon starting thinking that I had apologized for reading, for trying to learn some things and to enrich myself. I have NEVER apologized before for reading, and certainly Val did not ask or want me to apologize for reading, so I have to hope that I am not getting to and will never get to the point of thinking that reading is a waste of time. Cripe, I was a newspaper journalist for more than 18 years; what was I thinking?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home