Sunday, February 10, 2008

Ice Ice, Baby

Now that I have horrified you readers, regular and new alike, I had an encounter today that was kind of an adjunct to the "It ain't the heat, it's the humidity" cliche during summers in Buffalo, something like, "It's not the cold, it's the freezing."
As Walker Evans and I started our neighborhood jaunt this afternoon, before we even got a block down Norwood Avenue, I saw my friend and former colleague Whitney walking around her car. After we said hello, she said that her car was frozen shut and, raising her had to show me a small metal nub, added, "And my key just broke off in the lock."
I asked her if she had any access to hot water, and she said yes; indeed, she had just poured a full glass of it into and onto her lock, but to no avail. Fortunately, Whitney had a person with a vehicle just two cars away with the engine running, so she wasn't stranded.
I have no idea what her status is, but this is why I have never driven without having AAA road service. Now this is not a commercial, but Val and I have AAA Plus, and in the few times we have needed tows, battery jumps or the like, we have always received fast and courteous service. I wouldn't take a chance and not have it for either of us.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I swear by AAA. We've had to call them (on average) once a year so the cost of membership is justifiable considering what it would cost for a battery jump/ tow/ etc.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home