Monday, January 14, 2008

Bird Aftermath

Walker Evans and I took part of our Sunday walk down Norwood Avenue toward Summer Street, the same route we took Friday when we saw and heard the massive number of blackbirds and crows in our neighborhood.
The evidence does not lie; under every large tree on that route where big groups of birds roosted, there was below, on sidewalks, lawns and garbage totes (cars had moved by then) a virtual Jackson Pollock wonderland of white and gray bird poop splotches. The trail was heavy along the route I described a few days ago and trailed off just as the birds did, just before Norwood and Summer.
Why yes, of course; I am anal enough to check out this kind of stuff.

3 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

I was in my office (in the same neighborhood) that day and I could see through the skylight the shadows of birds going by. All I could hear were the birds a-squeaking- it must have been a heavy migration day.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

They're usually by Delaware Park near the 198 and take a fly by the upper west side on a daily basis.

A few weeks ago they were all roosted on one house - eerie.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

That's all true and logical, Becky, but this was an abnormally large number of birds and I never saw them roost so fast so far down Norwood Avenue.

Maybe I need to be more observant. And Mark, how dare they disturb the artist?

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home