Sunday, August 12, 2007

Yep, It's a Bat

When Val got home from work at about 6 tonight, I told her of my repeated, unsuccessful searches for a bat or anything on the media room, and added I was going to check again; she said to wait for her to join me.
We looked around and Val, with the bat experience mentioned in the previous post, noted that bats like to hang when they sleep (mostly during daylight) from vertical hanging items. As I looked at my (horizontal) closet clothes bar, she repeated "vertical" a bit louder. Of course, this meant that the bat, if there was one, could be hanging from one of my many shirts, pants, sweaters or sweatshirts; I doubted it was on one of my ties.
Besides the myriad of clothes on the bar (my clothes are kept in the media room, Val's in the bedroom), there were four shirts hanging from a small clothes hook on the closet door. I took the first two off and found nothing, but on the back of the third shirt (a dark blue Geoffrey Beane long-sleeve dress shirt), there was a small, gray and brown bat sleeping. We took the shirt off the hook, folded it, put a towel over it and I took it onto the front porch.
From there, the bat looked and acted exasperated, as if we had woken him from a good dream, and crawled under the shirt and towel and went back to sleep. When I checked at about 8:30 p.m., the bat appeared to have flown away.

2 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

Yikes! We always spazzed out at our old house when we had to chase mice around (Snugs did for one summer before retirement). The worst was when she brought one upstairs then put it in our bed proudly. Unfortunately it was only playing dead.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Ah, a double surprise: "Hey, Mom, here's a mouse I caught." ... "Hey, Mom, it's still alive."

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home