Sunday, August 12, 2007

At Bat, Or Are We?

Late last night/early this morning, just before I went to bed, I was on the computer in the media room next to our bedroom upstairs
In the room unlit except for the computer screen (I hate wasting electricity), I noticed something fluttering or flying above me and to the left, toward the door. When I took a closer look, I first thought that it as a large moth, which many of us get in our houses during the summer. But a closer look, as it flew around the ceiling and back toward the door, made me think it was either a bird (we get them on occasion) or a bat.
Several years ago, on one summer night, Val, after coming back from a few days up in Ontario, went upstairs to go to bed, and heard fluttering after she had pulled the sheets up. She saw the bat (easily recognizing it after seeing them every night on the island of Jim Whitford and Lynn O'Meara in northern Ontario). She opened a window, closed the door, slept downstairs for the night and the bat eventually left.
This time, the window in the media room is much more difficult to open, especially in the dark and when one is tired, so I just closed the door and in the morning, checked in; I could find no sign of a bat, bird or anything, so I opened the window and closed the door. I have checked a few times since then, and still no sign of a bat or anything, so maybe my half-asleep state just saw a moth and incorrectly registered it as a bat. Or the bat found a way out of the room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home