Monday, August 06, 2007

Recycled Music Can Be Fun ... Again

While searching for music in one of our storage rooms a few weeks ago, I found a few cassettes I had made for my Eight-Year Sentence that were returned to me when things ended years ago.
Since I have an AM/FM cassette player in my car (nope, no CD player in my 1999 Chevy Cavalier), I grabbed a couple and put them in my car; the first two have albums/CDs on each side of them, one of them Public Image Limited and Depeche Mode.
The second cassette, my favorite of the new stash so far, has U2's "War" on one side snd "The Head on the Door" by the Cure on the other side. I have been a major U2 fan, particularly of the band's first three CDs, since their debut "Boy" came out, but while I have enjoyed individual songs by the Cure, worked stage security at an excellent live show of the band at Buffalo State College in November 1984 and played a lot of the Cure's music on WBNY, I hadn't obtained more than one album for years.
When I put "The Head on the Door" cassette in my car radio, I was taken back by how good the album sounded as a unit as well as how good the individual songs are. The quality of the music should easily blot out the origin of the cassette.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Sedinger said...

You know, you might enjoy the book Love is a Mix Tape, by...one of the editors of Rolling Stone. It wasn't quite my cup of tea, but I think that's because I didn't realize the degree to which it deals with death, which isn't much what I'm into reading about these days. But you might find it interesting.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Yeah, that book actually does sound interesting, Jaquandor. I have also been listening to some mix tapes I made in the early, mid and late 1980s, from college and shortly afterwards.

I still listen to a good amount of it, play it when I get to do alumni shifts at WBNY and still want to replace some the vinyl on CD or digital files.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home