Friday, August 03, 2007

It's Unanimous ... Almost

While my hair has been razor-wire short for 10-15 years, and pretty short for about 20 years, I recently started shaving it right to the skull with my electric razor and, for the first time Thursday, with razor and shaving cream.
I hadn't been to my mother Sheila's house in a bit, so I was curious what her response would be when she saw the new cut; mom did not like it when I first started nearly shaving my head (shearing, as Val likes to say), and she never stopped telling me this or how much better it would be if I grew it longer. I think she was disappointed when she found out Val liked my hair; by the way, Val REALLY likes my freshly shaven head.
We visited my mother yesterday as a late birthday shindig for Val and to make sure my mother, age 77 and very active, went into an air-conditioned restaurant for dinner (she and her cat, Molly, have fans at homes, like us); as always, mom had baked a wonderful chocolate cake for dessert.
As soon as we sat down at our table and ordered our beverages, my mother looked at me, and said in a low, solemn voice, "I really don't like your hair that short. Couldn't you just let it grow a little longer like before, and have some stubble?" She smiled and shook her head when she heard how much Val and I like my head completely shaved; at least mom likes my new glasses.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ovni said...

Hello, if you want, visits my unique blog at http://littlebandits.blogspot.com you will have the opportunity to read, send, comment and vote many funny stories of childhood’s time...And if you like our idea insert our link between the favourites of your space. Thank you.

11:39 AM  
Blogger heather said...

That's kind of funny, because I always hear about how "pretty" my hair looked when it was short.

Happy belated birthday to Val, sorry I have been remiss on b-days, etc. But I have finally found the calendar and address book while unpacking.

Take care,

Heather

6:13 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Indeed, Heather, understanding mom on hair and physical appearance issues can be a test of faith.

And I understand; the drywall and ceiling fan/rewiring project continues, and the roof tear-off/replacement starts next week, so things are a bit harried and buried here, too.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home