Monday, July 30, 2007

Not Once, But Twice on the Radio

I had the good fortune to not only get the chance to do one air shift as an alumni DJ at WBNY 91.3 FM at Buffalo State College this weekend, I got to do two shifts, starting with noon-3 p.m. Saturday and also picking up a late 9 a.m.-noon Sunday air shift.
I love being able to play music on the college radio station I was a DJ, news anchor and reporter, and talk show host and producer at in 1984-1985, but not being a professional broadcaster, the main difference is that I have lost the radio chops I developed (not great but not too bad except for a nasal voice), and it takes an hour or more to get back into things and taking shorter, smoother mics and to mix music better. Al Riess on Saturday and fellow alumni Tom Connolly on Sunday did their best to update me on the new technology at the station after their shifts ended.
With the WBNY Alumni Weekends becoming more popular and the number of alumni growing much larger than when I first graduated, the Alumni Weekend air shifts are two hours, down from four hours when I was a DJ at WBNY (my first regular shift was 2-6 a.m. Sunday mornings and my longest-running was 6-10 a.m. Wednesdays), and by the time I get back into stride, the shifts are over. So I was thrilled to be offered one, and then two, 3-hour shifts this past weekend.
My Saturday shift took the format of what I've done for the last several Alumni Weekend shows, featuring music I played at WBNY from 1984-1985, plus lots of roots music from all eras and all kinds of music up to now, including as much local and format music at the station as would fit and sound right on my show.
To indulge myself at least, here are my playlists, starting with Saturday, July 28: Noon - MC 5, Shakin' Street; Transonics, Get On!; Bottle Rockets, Mountain to Climb; Rockpile, Teacher Teacher; Nick Lowe, Heart of the City; Fleshtones, Do You Swing?; Flying Burrito Brothers, Christine's Song; Linda McRae, Hoot and Holler; Redd Kross, Janus, Jeanie and George Harrison; This Is Now, Planet Why; The Jam, Set the House Ablaze; Tom Waits, Ol' 55; Bruce Springsteen, Erie Canal (Live); X, Your Phone's Off the Hook (But You're Not). 1 p.m. - Emmylou Harris, Waltz Across Texas Tonight; Hank Williams III, 7 Months, 39 Days; Stoll Vaughan, No Stopping; Gurf Morlix, Were You Lying Down; Buddy Miller, That's How I Got to Memphis; Joe Ely, Boxcars (Live); The Vores, Heartbeat; Richard Hell and the Voidoids, Love Comes in Spurts; Husker Du, Pink Turns to Blue; Lucinda Williams, Pineola; Richard Thompson, Hard on Me; Mark Norris and the Backpeddlers, Walk Out; James Hand, I've Got a Lot of Hiding Left to Do. 2 p.m. - Hank Williams Sr., Jambalaya (On the Bayou); Rex Hobart and the Misery Boys, Black Iron Bridge; John Doe, the Golden State; Elvis Costello and the Attractions, No Action; Congo Norvell, Golden Gates; Sonic Youth, Silver Rocket; Opaline, A Way; Tim Easton, Carry Me; Steve Earle, NYC; Blue Rodeo, No Miracle, No Dazzle; Los Lobos, Don't Worry Baby; Ronnie Dawkins, Just Rockin' and Rollin'; Old Sweethearts, Arms of the City; Robbie Fulks, Banks of the Marianne; the Clash, Clampdown.
The 9 a.m.-noon Sunday, July 29, show was intentionally more low-keyed and subtle, both in music and my vocal approach/length of mics taken: 9 a.m. - Kraftwerk, Trans-Europe Express; Laurie Anderson, From the Air; Miles Davis, Nefertiti; Tony Bennett, East of the Sun, West of the Moon; Duke Ellington, Caravan; Velvet Underground, Sunday Morning; The Pogues, The Band Played Waltzing Matilda; Public Image Limited, The Suit; Kris Kristofferson, Help Me Make It Through the Night; Justin Rutledge, Too Sober to Sleep; Emmylou Harris, Wrecking Ball. 10 a.m. - Marty Stuart and the Fabulous Superlatives, Come into the House of the Lord; Alejandro Escovedo, Thirteen Years; Buddy Miller, Through the Eyes of a Broken Heart; The Church, Under the Milky Way; The Jam, That's Entertainment; Elvis Costello, Almost Blue; Linda McRae, Falling Off the Face of the World; Lyle Lovett, Road to Ensenada; Blue Rodeo, Falling Down Blue; Marianne Faithful, Ballad of Lucy Jordan; Richard Thompson, Take Care the Road You Choose; Husker Du, Never Talking to You Again; Peter Case, Walk in the Woods. 11 a.m. - Julie Miller, All My Tears; the Carter Family, When the Roses Come Again; James Hand, Shadows Where the Magic Was; Rockpile, Crying in the Rain; Sonic Youth, Karen Koltrane; Lucinda Williams, Something About What Happens When We Talk; Grant-Lee Phillips, Wave of Mutilation; Gurf Morlix, I'm Hungry and I'm Cold; Hank Williams Sr., I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry; Patti Smith, Gloria; Tim Easton, Happy Now; Los Lobos, A Matter of Time; Steve Earle, Fort Worth Blues.
I was able to do at least a decent job of picking music to take in despite the drywall demolition and installation going on at home that prevented me from finding or uncovering lots of music, as well as simply not being at home for a few days because we had to stay at a hotel and missing a day of work and not bringing music from there. I may get to play more music at WBNY this summer, and I again thank Andrew Katsinis and the station management for giving me this opportunity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home