Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Another Nail Through My Heart

I hope there is nothing wrong with me borrowing a lyric from a late 1970s song by one of my all-time favorite bands, Squeeze, to discuss another annoying use of a punk/new wave classic band and song.
While watching the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Sunday (don't anyone DARE ask me about Wisconsin losing), a Cadillac commercial came on with the song "Start!" by the Jam, a song from the band's great 1980 "Sound Affects" album. Some readers may remember "Start!" as the mod/punk song that begins with an apparent borrowing of the bass introduction of the Beatles' "Taxman."
I suppose I should no longer be surprised with car commercials using favorite songs of mine this way; Val pointed out that many artistic directors and commercial makers are now about my (starting to feel advanced) age.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home