Sunday, March 18, 2007

Ugh

Sorry I haven't posted in several days, but I have been rather sick. I barely made it home Thursday with stomach flu-like symptoms (both ends, not at the same time), and while convulsing at the toilet and other activities, I pulled a muscle or tendons, ligaments or whatever, in my lower right rib cage. I felt like absolute crapola for days.
Indeed, today, Sunday, I ate and kept down my first solid food since Thursday, and even did the grocery shopping, just making it home conscious. I encountered one of my best friends, Tony Christiano (Hertel Hardware co-owner), and his son, Owen, at Wegmans. I havent' seen Tony in months, and the first thing he said to me was "are you sick, Kevin?" After a few minutes of catching up (Tony's wife Tracey gave birth to their second son, Leo, on Tuesday), he shook his head and said, "Kevin, you've lost weight, you're pale, weak and sick. GO HOME." I finished the shopping and went home.
One of the unforseen problems is that our dog, Walker Evans, is very unhappy with me, because he hasn't had a walk since Wednesday; I am hoping to be up to it tomorrow, but we'll see. His annoyed glances are making me guilty.
One of the nice surprises has been that milkshakes were virtual lifesavers; aside from ginger ale and water, the first thing I consumed that I kept down (some toast and jelly made a lovely reappearance) was a McDonald's chocolate shake Val got for me. It tasted and felt like heaven, took away some serious hunger and kept me going. I had to settle for a Burger King milkshake today; when I stopped at McDonald's on Elmwood Avenue after Wegmans, they said they were out of all shakes and ice cream. Apparently, the Shamrock Shakes took their toll.
At the moment, with a cold now piling on top of everything else, the pain I feel every time I cough, stand, laugh, kneel, sit, bend, pick up or put down something, may be the worst remaining issue.

2 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

Well I see you the same day, in the same supermarket, and you shake my hand passing your sic-guy germs to me.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Sorry, Mark; I was hoping at first that I didn't seem too unfriendly or distant when I weakly said hello. Later, it hit me that I shouldn't be spreading germs to you, Tony or anyone in your families.

Or to the workers and customers at the deli and Wegmans, too, I guess.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home