Thursday, February 08, 2007

Another Musical Abomination

While watching the Daily Show with Jon Stewart (I think) tonight, I heard another song from my adolescence/early adulthood I didn't want to hear in a commercial, "Blister in the Sun" by the Violent Femmes for Wendy's; if I remember correct, it isn't the first advertisement to use this song.
Yes, I know, the artists, writers, etc., have the right to use their music for financial gain as they see fit, and I am not seeking to change that. But I neither have to like it nor stay quiet about it. And yes, it may be hypocritical of me, but I am not offended by the use of Johnny Cash's music in the hotel commercial.

2 Comments:

Blogger Prego said...

I never cared for the Blister song... I think the lowlight for the VF came during my accidental viewing of Reality Bites, and watching superchoad Ethan Hawke belt out "Add It Up" to Winona "Five-Finger Discount" Ryder.

I'll have to agree, the chafe of hearing certain songs in commercials is hit or miss. London Calling selling an automobile was pretty rough, whereas variations of the Macarena for an assortment of products is not.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, "I've Been Everywhere" makes a lot of sense for a hotel chain.

"Blister in the Sun," a song about masturbation, may not be the best way to sell cheeseburgers, no matter the quantity of mayo invloved.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home