Monday, August 03, 2009

Patronizing or Just Me?

You've probably read me comment on ice cream trucks in our and other Buffalo neighborhoods during the summer and the music that they play to let people know they are here.
Mr. Softee trucks play, well, the Mr. Softee Song, while a white "short bus" with orange and green trim that also comes around here in the Elmwood Village plays Scott Joplin's "The Entertainer," the theme from the movie "The Sting." For some reason, the Mr. Softeee song is fine with me, while the repetition of "The Entertainer" could drive me to screaming.
While Val and I were at the Lasalle Park dog park on Buffalo's Lower West Side Sunday, an ice cream truck that was also white in color with some trim, very similar to the one mentioned above but I cannot say from the same company so please, don't assume that it is, drove through while the music it played was "The Cucaracha."
Should I have been pissed off like I felt because of the obvious attempt to play music to allegedly fit in in the heavily Hispanic American part of the city, or was it nothing to get worked up about?

2 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

Maybe you need an Ipod

5:02 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Naw, I'm not an iPod person. I like hearing and being in contact with my surroundings in that way.

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home